View all facilities

McGill Park & McGill Park Nature Area

Features


  • Playground
  • Walking trails

History


McGill Park was established in 1950, the park was named after Andrew R. McGill (1840 to 1905). This park is on the North side of the city and runs along an old right-of-way of the Chicago and Northwestern Railway. There is a path along Church Street that lies on the original track bed. Andrew R. McGill was a teacher and principal in the school district. In 1862 he enlisted in the Ninth Minnesota Volunteers and saw action in the south. He returned to Saint Peter and became a Superintendent of schools in Nicollet County. He also edited the local newspaper, became a lawyer and ultimately governor (1887 to 1888).