Building permits will not be issued, and work should not begin, until the permit has been approved by the Building Department. Failure to provide all the information requested will delay or prevent permit approval. After a preliminary review, additional information may be required. Please allow 14 days for your building permit application to be processed.
Building Permit Applications
Electrical wiring must be approved by the state electrical inspector. For permit and inspection requirements call Chris Jackson, State Electrical Inspector, at 507-402-4963 between the hours of 7:00 to 8:30 a.m.
Gopher State One Call
Before excavating, call Gopher State One at 811 or 800-252-1166 to verify the location of underground utilities. You must give 48 hours notice. Along with the excavation address, Gopher State One Call will ask the Township, Range and Section descriptions of your property. That information can be obtained from the Building Department.
When a Permit is Required
- Work Where a Building Permit is Needed
- Work Where an Excavation Permit is Needed
- Work Where a Plumbing or Mechanical Permit is Needed
- Work Where No Permit is Needed
The following types of projects require a building permit:
- Basement waterproofing
- Building additions
- New construction
- New or replacement doors
- New or replacement windows
- Partitions over 7 feet high
- Repair or replace porch or deck
- Repair or replace roofing
- Repair or replace siding
- Replace, install or remove sheetrock
- Storage sheds over 200 square feet
See Building Permit Applications on the Permit Applications page.
An excavation permit is needed before the following can be changed or altered in any way:
- Patio slabs over 120 square feet
- Storage sheds over 120 square feet
See Excavation Permit Applications on the Permit Applications page.
The following types of projects require a plumbing or mechanical permit:
- Emergency Repairs
- In an emergency situation, if a water heater, air conditioner or furnace must be replaced, the permit application shall be submitted to the building official within the next working business day.
- New construction
- New or replacement Air Conditioner / Furnace
- New or replacement Air to Air Exchanger
- New or replacement Gas or Solid Fuel Fireplace
- New or replacement Water Heater
See Plumbing and Mechanical Permit Applications on the Permit Applications page.
No permit is needed for the following types of work:
- 1 story detached accessory structure under 200 square feet
- Cabinetry and similar finish work
- Movable cases, counters, partitions (including fences) not over 7 feet high
- Replacing existing fixtures
- Retaining Walls less than 4 feet high
- Swing sets or playgrounds
All permits require inspections; see the Inspection Regulations page.