The Saint Peter Police Department is organized into four major areas of responsibility: patrol, criminal investigation, communications, community service.
Chief of Police
The department is administered, coordinated and directed by the Chief of Police and supervisory staff. The supervisory staff is made up the Office Services Coordinator and the Patrol Sergeant.
Patrol is the backbone of all policing. A Sergeant who directs the work of ten patrol officers supervises patrol. Patrol Officers are responsible for all aspects of policing. They perform a wide range of general law enforcement duties. Patrol Officers are responsible for:
- Enforcement of law and ordinances
- Maintenance of order
- Prevention, detection, and investigation of criminal acts within the city
- Protection of life and property
They provide for the enforcement of court orders and court directives and assure the preservation of the constitutional and civil rights of all individuals.
Office Services Coordinator
The Office Services Coordinator supervises communications staff, payroll, billing and many other support services.
Communications is comprised of four full-time and two part-time Communications Technicians. Communications Technicians duties include:
- Clerical functions
- Dispatching emergency service providers
- Monitoring of fire and burglar alarms
- Providing information requested from the public
- Receiving emergency and non-emergency telephone and radio calls
- Receptionist for all after hour city calls
- State and local data entry
- Tourist information
- Transcription of statements
- Other support services
The detectives are responsible for all law enforcement investigative activities. All major criminal investigations are carried out here in addition, assistance is provided to patrol officers in the investigation of misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor investigations. Detective duties include:
- Child protection investigations
- Coordinating all investigations, crime scenes, and the prosecution of felony level crimes
- Vulnerable adult investigations