Permit Approval 

Building permits will not be issued, and work should not begin, until the permit has been approved by the Building Department. Failure to provide all the information requested will delay or prevent permit approval. After a preliminary review, ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MAY BE REQUIRED. Please allow 7 days for your building permit application to be processed. 


Electrical wiring must be approved by the state electrical inspector. For permit and inspection requirements call Chris Gappa, State Electrical Inspector, at 507-327-6078 between the hours of 7:00 am. - 8:30 a.m. 

Gopher State One Call 

Before excavating, call Gopher State One at 811 or 1-800-252-1166 to verify the location of underground utilities. Must give 48 hours notice. Along with the excavation address, Gopher State One Call will ask the Township, Range and Section descriptions of your property. That information can be obtained from the Building Department. 

Building Information 

2015 Residential MN State Code Amendments (pdf)

What requires a permit?

No permit is needed for the following types of work:

  • Paint
  • Wallpaper
  • Carpet/Linoleum/Tile
  • Cabinetry and similar finish work
  • Swing sets or playgrounds
  • 1 story detached accessory structure under 200 square feet
  • Retaining Walls less than 4’ high
  • Movable cases, counters, partitions (including fences) not over 7’ high
  • Replacing existing fixtures

All permits require inspections, for more information click here: Required Inspections

An Excavation Permit is needed before the following can be changed or altered in any way.

  • Additions
  • Driveways
  • Sidewalks
  • Patio slabs over 120 square feet
  • Storage sheds over 120 square feet

    Excavation Permit Applications

The following types of projects require a Building Permit:

  • Repair or replace roofing
  • Repair or replace siding
  • New or replacement windows
  • New or replacement doors
  • Replace, install or remove sheetrock
  • Basement waterproofing
  • Repair or replace porch or deck
  • Partitions over 7’ high
  • Storage sheds over 200 square feet
  • Building additions
  • New construction

     Building Permit Applications

The following types of projects require a Plumbing or Mechanical Permit:

  • *Emergency Repairs* - In an emergency situation, if a water heater, air conditioner or furnace must be replaced, the permit application shall be submitted to the building official within the next working business day.
  • New or replacement Water heater
  • New or replacement Air Conditioner / Furnace
  • New or replacement Air to Air exchanger
  • New or replacement Gas or Solid fuel fireplace
  • Additions
  • New construction

    Plumbing & Mechanical Permit Applications

Erosion Control

Property Rental Information and Rental Application

Utility Assessment Policy


The Building Official is usually available in City Hall from 8:00-9:00 a.m.and 

4:00 – 5:00 p.m. to answer your questions.  

If you have any questions, please call 507-934-0662.

We’ll be glad to help.


Building Department
227 South Front Street
Saint Peter, MN 56082
Phone: (507) 934-0662
Fax: (507) 934-4917
E mail: